As a proud redhead, I often think about what makes red hair such a divisive thing?
As I referred to it in my last blog, it tends to be the follicle equivalent of Marmite – you either love it or ya don’t!
So, this got me thinking as to who on earth could have been the first ever redhead? As is the way these days, I turned to the Internet (and in particular to the encyclopedic site that is Wikipedia).
Obviously, a ‘wiki’ site has its inaccuracies, but, hey, it’s often very near the mark on most things (does anyone know anyone who contributes to it? Would love to know who these people are!) and it didn’t let me down this time.
So, where do you start looking? Well, my first thought was if there was anyone mentioned in the bible as sporting the carrot-top! Well, without wishing to go into religious topics, it would seem that there are a number of definite mentions of redheads, in various books and passages of the great book!
Well, as you can imagine, this got my grey cells working and I thought I’d see who else ‘historical’ there might be listed on the wacky world wide web!
In just two or three minutes, I found the following people all, at one time or another, were purported to be or were rocking the natural redhead look. Although it seems that the odd one are more synonymous for hair colours that mean the curtains and carpets probably don’t match, if you catch my drift!
Anyway, here’s my fave 10 redheads that came back – obviously in absolutely no order of any kind of importance and please forgive the odd silly ‘observation’ here and there!
- Mary Magdalene – she travelled with Jesus as one of his followers and was present at both the crucifixion and resurrection.
- Vincent van Gogh – Dutch Footballer I think… JOKE! Major Dutch post-impressionist painter, obviously!
- Catherine of Aragon – The first of Henry VIII’s wives and one that actually avoided the redhead coming right off one’s shoulders, literally!
- Christopher Columbus – Seafaring explorer that found lots of stuff, including the New World.
- Cleopatra – the last active Pharaoh of ancient Egypt, expertly portrayed by Alma, from Coronation Street, in Carry on Cleopatra!
- Richard I – Famous British king, nicknamed The Lionheart, due to his reputation as a great military leader and warrior.
- Henry VIII and Elizabeth I – Father and daughter both reputed to be redheads…. Perhaps explains a lot there then?!
- George Washington – First ever President of the good ‘ol US of A.
- Winston Churchill – Iconic British wartime Prime Minister, now become a dog that’s big in insurance… (sorry)
- Marilyn Monroe – Lauded as a blonde bombshell, but really a ravishing redhead… ah, there’s hope for my Hollywood career yet!
So, there you have it. Ten of the most famous redheads… Believe me, I could have gone on with more, but I am guessing that you get the drift of the point I am making…. Redheads rock, rule and deserve their place in history!
And, finally, back to a biblical slant… AMEN TO THAT!
See ya soon! Simply Redheads